What is the Purpose of Schools?
The purpose of school is to create a space that is equal in opportunities to learn for all people regardless of race, ethnicity, gender or socio-economic status. Throughout history, school was not always a place of equal opportunity. I believe that the education system has come a long way and has made that possible, but there is still a lot of work to be done. I went to school in Mansfield Texas, where the school district is known for its decade long refusal to desegregate its public schools during the civil rights movement. Although the school district had a horrible past, I did go to a very diverse school where I had amazing opportunities to learn and grow as an individual. That is what school is all about. Schools should educate students in different fields and prepare them for the real world because children are our future.
As a young adult, I feel as though the schools I attended succeeded in this purpose in some aspects but failed in others. With the pressure of standardized testing, as a child I felt as though I was memorizing content rather than learning. I felt this especially with subjects that I did not find interesting, like math. I just needed to memorize enough to get a passing score and move on to the next grade. I believe that students would thrive in spaces where they feel that they can be creative without the stress that comes along with always being scored. I think that this issue needs to be addressed because it undermines the true purpose of schools and makes students dread going.

Comments
Post a Comment